Saturday, June 1, 2019

Pagan Ethics

Following in the footsteps of my teachers, friends, and elders like Ian Corrigan and John Becket, I thought I'd talk a little bit about Pagan Ethics, as I see and practice them.  This is a post about what I believe is right, and why I believe it is right.  I'd very much like to hear yours.  If you would like to discuss this topic with me and my circle, there is a gathering to do so Sunday June 3rd at Witch House from 2-6pm.

  • On Nature
    • I believe Nature is complex, ever-changing, and inescapable. All truth is contained in Nature. Everything that we learn, we learn by observing and interacting with Nature, the Great Teacher.
    • I believe we humans are part of Nature. Everything that is is part of Nature. There is nothing that is not Nature. It is literally impossible for things to happen that are "unnatural".
    • I believe there is only one family tree on Earth; all living creatures are kin.
  • On Human Lives and Bodies
    • I believe that every human life has inherent dignity and worth.
    • I believe that our bodies are inviolable. It is grievously wrong to violate another person's bodily sovereignty.
    • I believe love is a precious thing, to be sought after, delighted in, and celebrated in all its multi-mysterious forms.
    • It is best for the strong to care for the weak, as best as we are able. 
  • On the Spirits
    • I believe that humans share our world with a large variety of sentient beings, both embodied and otherwise.
    • I believe that we owe the same duties of compassion, community and care to unembodied sentient people as we do to those with bodies.
    • I believe that worship is owed to no being, but can be freely given, and accepted, in love and communion.
  • On Community
    • I believe it is best to always strive to act with compassion towards all beings, to the best of our ability, and in accord with reason.
    • I believe people are fallible. We have all made mistakes. We all will make more. When you know you have done wrong, you should strive to set right what you broke.
    • I believe humans are meant to live in community with own another, sharing our loves, lives, property, and efforts with one another, working towards a common good.
  • On Economics
    • I believe the notion that one human being can compel the labor of another is absurd and grievously wrong.  And yet, we live in a world where few of us can avoid it.  We must use our best judgements about how and when and where it is best to buy and sell labor in an honest and ethical manner.
    • I believe that the very notion that a human being can own land is absurd and grievously wrong.  And yet, we live in a world where few of us can avoid it.  We must use our best judgements about how and when and where it is best to buy, sell, safeguard, and steward land in an honest and ethical manner.
    • I believe that a person cannot be fully spiritually free while they are materially in debt. Debt, capitalization of debt, and the culture of debt are among the great moral dilemmas of our time.  And yet, we live in a world where few of us can avoid it.  We must use our best judgements about how and when and where it is best to borrow and lend in an honest and ethical manner.






No comments:

Post a Comment