Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Hermes Working for Safe Travel

Tomorrow, lots of us will be traveling to Maryland for the Sacred Space / Between the Worlds conference.  Turns out Maryland is expecting a blizzard tomorrow.  So....

Tonight, Wed March 4th, during the hour of Mercury (about 8pm-9pm in the NYC area.  Check your timing here.) several of us will be working some safe travel magic.  If you'd like to participate, message me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sara.mastros

You can also preform this ritual anytime you like by yourself.  If you can't or don't want to do the ritual, just make yourself a copy of the sigil at the bottom, and put it in your car.

This is a barebones ritual; you can elaborate on it however you like.  The important part is the chanting and the sigil.  Please use the chant exactly as written and focus on the sigil.  That's what helps tie all our magics together.

Ideally, you'll want a small stone of some kind, and a permanent marker.  If you don't have a rock, a coin will work fine too, or even a piece of paper. If you're using something that's not a rock, remember to rename it "little stone" at the beginning.  Some incense, a small bowl of water, some salt, and a candle are also used, along with a splash of oil (olive oil is best).  If you don't have any of those things, you can just chant while looking at the sigil.

Begin by preparing yourself for magic in your usual fashion.

Draw the symbol of Mercury on the stone with the marker.


Light the candle and the incense, and arrange them, along with the stone and bowl of water in front of you in a pleasing fashion.

Say (something like):
Beloved Hermes, friend and teacher, protector and guide, keeper of the crossroads and messenger between the worlds, come now at my call.  Attend to me here, and to all who call you.  Keep me safe as I travel, me and all who bear your sign.  This little rock will be our compact, this little rock will be your Herm.

Pick up to stone and say (something like):
Little stone, be every stone, be the foundation of my Herm, the guardian of my way!  I will carry you with me as I journey, and when I arrive, I will build of you a pillar, a marker, a Herm.  Yours will be a great destiny; you will be beloved of the great god Hermes!

Pass the stone through the smoke and say (something like)
Creature of earth, my beloved little stone, draw sustenance from this smoke.  Let it empower you!  Carry the breath of Hermes within you!  All the powers of air are yours, little stone, awake to them, and use them to keep me safe as I travel, me and all who bear your sign!  Hermes, Hodios, Mercury, Stone!

Pass the stone through the candle flame and say (something like)
Creature of earth, enlivened by air, draw sustenance from this fire!  Let it empower you!  Carry the flame of Hermes within you!  All the powers of fire are yours, little stone, awake to them, and use them to keep me safe as  I travel, me and all who bear your sign! Hermes, Hodios, Mercury, Stone!

Sprinkle some water on the stone and say (something like)
Creature of earth, enlivened by air, enlivened by fire, draw sustenance from this water!  Let it empower you!  Carry the blood of Hermes within you!  All the powers of water are yours, little stone, awaken to them, and use them to keep me safe as I travel, me and all who bear your sign!  Hermes, Hodios, Mercury, Stone!

Drip some oil over the stone.
Little stone, creature of earth, creature of air, creature of fire, creature of water, you are a Herm to the great god Hermes.  I pour out oil upon you.

Hold the stone in your hands, and stare at the sigil below.  If you can hold the image in your head, close your eyes and imagine it, glowing and pulsing.  If you can't, just keep staring at it.   Chant the following a minimum of 8 times.  108 times would be great (which is the number of beads on a Buddhist mala).  As you chant, feel the power of Hermes in the stone, thrumming and pulsing, imagine the marker symbol you draw growing and changing, pulsing and thrumming, turning into the seal below.

The chant:

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Hermes, Hodios, Mercury, Stone


The sigil:


























No comments:

Post a Comment