Thursday, August 13, 2015

Sedna: Mother of the Cold Sea

Sedna by Antony Galbraith,  http://fineartamerica.com


A friend and priestess of Apollo has recently told me that He says the single thing we magicians can do right now to help the entire planet is to work to strengthen the oceans.  In order to help, I've been instructed by Sedna to make her a sound.  Most of the gods and goddesses I work with come from the Near Eastern and Greek pantheons of my ancestors.  Recently, however, I've been starting to work with more American spirits.  Sedna, ᓴᓐᓇ, is the Inuit name for the Great Goddess of the Arctic Ocean; the Mother of Cold Sea.  While she is primarily known in the Arctic circle, I believe her to extend well into the Northern Atlantic, especially in Winter.  Wherever the icy arctic water reaches, there is Sedna.

My very first introduction to Sedna was in this folk song, by Canadian artist Heather Dale.

I immediately recognized my beloved cold-water goddess.  When I was young, my family went to the (midAtlantic) beach every year in the summer.  While my mother was not a fan, my father and I shared a love for the ocean.  One of my earliest memories is my father teaching me to jump waves..."put your arms out like superman, bend your knees, and as soon as you feel the sea begin to pull you, get ready, the wave is coming, get set....JUMP!"  Many years, especially after I was old enough to drive myself, I also visited in the winter, near my birthday (president's day weekend).  It was always clear to me that the ocean was ruled by different spirits at those times, and, as much as I love the summer ocean, it is the bone-cracking-cold winter Atlantic that holds my heart.

Sedna has a story for me to tell you, which isn't quite the usual story of her birth, but it is the story of how she came to be none the less.

Sedna, the 10th planet.
Sedna, the Mother of the Icy Seas.
Sedna, the Arctic Ocean, the Great Ice of the North.
The Gate at the Edge of Forever.
The Whale,  The Great One,
The Black Dragon of the North.
The Arctic Ocean.  The Great Wall of Ice.
The Daughter Sacrificed.
The victims, the daughters of the patriarchs.
The matriarch, deposed.
The Sea Witch.
The Daughter of Sea and Sky.
The Great Lady Below.

In ancient days, the ocean was cold, and still, and utterly lifeless, tohu wa bohu.
Father took Daughter out on the sea. 
A storm arose; Chaos blew over the surface of the waters.
Father was afraid.  Father blamed Daughter.
He cast her overboard, but she clung for life to the sides of the boat.
Father, afraid, took up the oar.  
Once, he bashed Daughter's fingers.  
Twice, he bashed at her hands.  
Daughter was cold.  Her hands turned to ice.
A third time, Father struck, and her fingers shattered. 
They fell into the sea and became whale, walrus, seal, and porpoise.  
Daughter sank down, to the bottom of the sea, and there she still resides.

So, it seems that's what Sedna had to say on the subject; I don't see how I could improve on that description (were it even my privilege to do so).

In lieu of physical offerings, Sedna desires charitable donations and work on behalf of the deep sea.
She will also accept the finest quality of eel sushi, thrown into the sea, north of the 45th parallel.

I have created an audio file at Sedna's instruction.  Listening to it will help you connect to Sedna, to all deep ocean spirits, arctic and other northern genius loci, and large arctic marine mammals.  It can also be used to help heal the teeth and jaws, the skull and spine.  

The sound also heals something else, something difficult for me to even explain.  This sound helps to heal mother-guilt, the injury done to the soul of a mother who (intentionally or not) injures her child.  It can heal your own mother-guilt, but also any ancestral/karmic mother-guilt you might have inherited. It WILL NOT heal father-guilt; I'll see if I can find someone else to take that on.  

It can also help heal the trauma experienced by a baby during a difficult birth, especially those of us born by cesarian section.

Sedna is not a friendly goddess;  she is mighty, wrathful, and does not give a shit about you.  DO NOT fuck around with her.   It is unlikely that just listening to this sound will provoke direct experience of her, but, should you find yourself in contact with Sedna, approach her respectfully.  The filth of humans poisons her children, chokes her seas, clogs her eyes and nose and mouth.  Our filth and waste is tangled in her hair.  Help her comb it out: gently, and lovingly, and in cognizance of your guilt.

This sound is VERY safe to use in the summer, or anywhere/when it is warm out.  A much more powerful, but potentially dangerous, experience can be had by working with it while cold, especially while submerged in cold water.  THIS IS FOR EXPERIENCED TRANCE WORKERS ONLY.

As with any healing magic, you might experience the "badness" leaving your body in a variety of forms, including as digestive gas, or emotional catharsis.  Try hard not to engage with / attach to anything the sound shakes loose, just let it flow out of you.  You might feel the need to move around your spine or jaws, and you might experience some popping as they subtly shift into alignment. However, if you experience pain, remove your headphones, turn off the sound, drink some water, and you will rapidly return to your normal state of consciousness.  Obviously, I'm not a doctor, and the sound can't substitute for actual medical care.  See a doctor!

Try to listen to it with headphones, or speakers with VERY good subwoofers.  There are some almost-too-low to hear sounds, including the so-called Pigeon tone, at 69.3 Hz.  

The audio opens with Heather Dale's song.  Please pay her for it!  You can buy the song (and many others!) here for $1.

After the song, the sound consists of various ocean noises, including nearly-subsonic fin whale signals recorded off the coast of Ireland.  Also included are a pseudo-solfeggio tone at 69.3 Hz, a a hollow mammoth tusk, a Tibetan frame drum, and a few other things.  There are no isochronics or binaurals; this sound is epileptic-safe.








No comments:

Post a Comment