|This is my favorite pan. My dad welded the handle back on for me when it broke.|
I am appropriately embarrassed about the super dirty stove.
You will need:
- 1 large pan that can go in the oven. This is MUCH better in cast iron. The rice crisps up along the edges and turns brown. Yum!
- 1 "family size" bag yellow rice. I like Vigo brand. OR about 2 cups dry rice + seasoning
- some pieces of chicken, thighs or leg quarters are best
- 1 bag frozen peas (I like a lot of peas, you can use less if you want) Whatever other veggies you have on hand. I like onions, carrots, zuchini, and tomatoes in mine.
- Goya "Sazon" spice mix or a mix of salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, coriander, cumin, oregano, and paprika. However much you think you need, ue twice that amount.
- about 1/2 cup green "salad" olives. chopped up. with or without pimentoes is fine. (you can leave out the olives, if you are Philistine)
- about 1/2 cup raisins (or dates or dried cranberries. dried or fresh apples are good. or you can leave the fruit out)
- about 3-4 cups water
This reheats really well, so I always make a whole pan full, even when I'm by myself.
- Set oven to about 330 degrees.
- Pour the rice into the pan. Push it around into smooth layer. Be sure to break up the seasoning clumps.
- Add olives, raisins, and non-frozen vegetables.
- Pour the frozen vegetables on top of the rice. Try to cover it completely.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the peas. Try to cover as much surface area as possible.
- Pour in water until the rice is barely covered. The more area not covered by chicken, the more water you will need.
- Put seasoning on top of chicken. Use more than you think you need.
- Put everything in the oven.
- Check after 40 minutes. Is skin crispy? Is chicken done? Add more water if rice is dried out.
- Wait until the chicken and rice are done (about an hour total depending on the size of the chicken pieces, the mass of the pan, the heat of the oven, how much water, etc... It's very forgiving.
- Take out of oven (turn off oven). Remove chicken and put on a plate.
- Stir to distribute everything evenly. The rice on top will be sick and pale with grief. The rice on the bottom will be reddish gold and delicious. Mix that shit up.
- Replace the chicken and take a photo to show it off! (optional) So pretty!