Sunday, December 31, 2017

Cornish Adventure Part Two

After a very cold and rainy drive from Glastonbury, I finally arrived at the Penallick B&B in Tintagel (the boyhood home of King Arthur) last night around 1:30am.  Along the way, my sat nav (British for GPS) decided to take me along several semi-paved farmer's roads (in the pouring rain, in the pitch black), so that was fun. 

The B&B is lovely.  The proprietor, Paul, seems very nice.  I was given my choice of rooms, and chose the one with the bigger bed over the one with the sea view.  The view on this side is of farms, and is still quite pretty. 

I had the best English breakfast of all time (which is an amazing British thing combining everything I have ever wanted to eat for breakfast, and also some kind of usually baked beans?  This place had blackbeans in a vaguely Cuban style, which were great.), and then set off to do a little Sunday driving, while waiting for the Museum of Witchcraft and Magic to open at noon.  I'll write about the museum tonight, but I'm excited about it!

I didn't go down to Tintagel castle, because it's rather expensive, quite a hike, and I use a cane and only had 2 hours to kill until the museum opens.  I will go tomorrow.  Instead, I drove around and took some photos.  First, a few from "downtown" Tintagel, which looks fun, lots of cutesy touristy King Arthur themed and New Age stuff, but everything is closed Sunday morning.  Here is a photo of the lovely "Old Post Office", which is a medieval hall.  It's closed for the winter, but you can see some indoor photos at their website.






I drove around a bit, looking for a place where I could perhaps see Tintagal castle from above.  I found the most amazing place, called the Camelot Castle Hotel, which perches on a cliff overlooking the coast. 

Here are several photos from their "back yard".  Click to expand:








































After taking photos, I went inside to their restaurant to have a hot cocoa and get out of the cold wind.  It was quite empty, although there were at least half a dozen waiters.  It's very lovely.  Like a Victorian castle (which I guess it basically is). 




AMAZING art, I think mostly from the same artist (ie, they all are similar in style a sort of slightly psychedelic impressionism similar to my grandmother's) . I got to speaking with the owner (who I'm like 60% convinced is actually Merlin).  Apparently, in the off seasons, they have an artist in residence program, and so they're letting me stay tonight for free!

I've now emptied my phone's memory, and am about to set off for the Witching Museum.  More this evening!  Love to you all!

Sara




No comments:

Post a Comment